Friday, June 2, 2017

This Week

Happy June, blogging pals. I hope you all have a great month ahead. And I hope your weather has been much nicer than ours. We go from hot, sunny, summer-like days to cool and rainy ones. It’s been a very wet spring this year. I hope June proves to be better.

I’ve been visiting two websites a lot lately:

1) Bookoutlet. This is one of North America’s largest seller of bargain books. The selection is great and the prices are even better. I recently made an order for 10 YA books that cost me a total of $22, tax and shipping included. Can you believe that? Incredible. Once I’m done with all these books, I'll offer them to my kids.

2) Well.ca. This is an online Canadian company offering more than 40,000 products, including the country’s largest assortment of green and natural brands. I love this place because I can find all the healthier products I can’t find in most local stores, many of which cater to the big name brands that poison us and the planet. For the past few years, I’ve been replacing products that have nasty chemicals in them with products that are non-toxic and cruelty free. Because shampoos and toothpastes and cleaners and dishwashing liquids and hand soaps should not poison people or blind some poor bunny or other helpless animal.

These two websites are both great. And one of you for sure (could be more than one of you) is responsible for introducing/mentioning Well.ca. Raise your hand if you think it’s you and leave me a comment to let me know.

(Added: After thinking about it, I realized that I know one of you for sure mentioned the website Well.ca. The other one I'm not sure of. I can't quite remember who it was. Please weigh in if you know the one for books.)


In other news, aside from typical chores, we haven’t done anything with the house for at least a couple of weeks. One, I think we burned ourselves out a little and stepped back. And two, this one being most important, I injured myself. For weeks I’d been feeling a lot of pain and discomfort on my right side around the chest area. Long story short, after a visit to the hospital emergency, two blood tests, two EEGs, a chest x-ray, a mammogram, an ultrasound (all tests came back negative ) and meeting with three different doctors, it was concluded that I’d injured my chest muscles. I was prescribed pain and anti inflammatory medication and sent home. The last doctor I met with told me to take this medication for a couple of weeks, be careful when I’m doing things and be patient; this can take a long time to heal and it may occur again. Sigh. All this made me realize that I’m getting older. Well, at least there’s nothing seriously wrong. And I discovered what an amazing hospital we have. I was given the whole spa treatment and the service was impeccable.


I have started a journal once again (something I did for years in my youth) because I have a very active brain and I reflect on a lot of things. My brain heats up with all this activity and it gets overloaded. Without some outlet, I suspect that these abundant thoughts and opinions and ideas will start to ooze out of my ears because there’s no more room to accommodate them. So I decided to start jotting them down on paper to declutter my mind and free up mental space. I am a minimalist, after all. Do you keep a journal?


So I finally tried overnight oats. This is where you soak oats (usually rolled oats) overnight in whatever liquid you like (I use cashew/almond milk) and eat them the next day. When I took them out of the fridge this morning, I heated them up (you can eat this cold) added half a teaspoon of honey, some walnuts and some blackberries. And OHMYFLIPPINGGOODNESS was this ever good! Very filling, too. Have you ever tried this? I’ll have to do this again. Next time I'll add in a little maple syrup, raspberries and other nuts. The different combos are endless.

And that’s it for now. Have a lovely weekend!

48 comments:

  1. Good for you, and nice thoughts indeed. Happy new month, greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite! Oats, walnuts and little cubes of fresh apple. Yum!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy June! Generally our ugliest month of the year; I've never understood 'June bride season' in southern California...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In warmer places, it would be a tough month. But for us it's typically one of the best of the year!

      Delete
  4. I know about well.ca but not about the book site. Thanks for the link! Have you tried Abebooks.com?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of Abebooks.com but I haven't really checked it out. I'll have to take a look!

      Delete
  5. Your overnight oats sound good! Thanks for mentioning those links but so sorry about your chest injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like oatmeal and I was curious about making them this way. I still prefer my steel cut oats that I cook on the stovetop, but this style is a good treat now and again.

      Delete
  6. It's hard to slow down as we get older, especially when we have stuff we must get done. I hope you heal quickly and completely. Respect your pain; it is a message from your body :) We're so lucky to have a good health care system in our country, aren't we?

    I love the bunnies and the yarn-string-whatever mind! I find writing to be very helpful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky. I am so grateful for out health care system! I can't imagine what this country would be like without it and how many people would avoid going for help or go bankrupt if they did. I got the whole nine yards of treatment and all I had to do was present my magical health care card. You gotta love that.

      Delete
  7. Well, I certainly hope those chest muscles heal as quickly as possible -- what a literal and figurative pain they must be! I had a good LOL at the image you illustrated it with, though! I'm definitely going to check out those websites -- thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both really great websites. It's wonderful having so many better options over the internet instead of being stuff with the usual in local places.

      Delete
  8. I hope the pain from you injury goes away soon. I'm older, too. Very, very, very much older. I wonder if those Web sites allow the nasties from Trump's U.S.A. to use them. I didn't vote for him, but all of us in the states have to bear the shame.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie. I hope this isn't going to be a permanent thing with me. We shall see. And I do hope all that political stress and divisiveness settles down at some point. You are a resilient bunch and I have faith that you'll spring back.

      Delete
  9. Glad all the testing was negative. Hoping your pain won't be the one that sticks around for a long time, but at least you know what it is and I think that helps take some of the worry off. I keep a prayer journal. I've never tried oats that way, might have to soon! Enjoy the weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't stick around, Betty, but I have a feeling it just might. Time will tell. It's worth trying the oats this way at least once just to see what the fuss is all about. I really enjoyed them and will make them this way occasionally.

      Delete
  10. I'm afraid I don't know either of the sites, but both sound interesting!!!
    Martha, I love your journal page!!!
    That did sound yummy on the oats thing...must try it!
    Now! More important! I am so happy that nothing serious was wrong with you!!! That had to be scary! You and the best man in the world really were working yourselves way to hard! Now, you know that you have to take it slower. Hope you feel better real soon 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty scary and now I can concentrate on healing and looking after myself. We did push ourselves too hard and this was the outcome. I've been taking it very easy for awhile but eventually I'll start doing small jobs around the house. I'll just have to be more careful from now on.

      Delete
  11. I am glad your tests were all OK, I hope your pain goes away soon. Thanks for these websites, I will check them out. Great idea to journal, I used to and stopped years ago, but my mind is like that comic strip :) I have been wanting to try oats like that, I will now. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice jotting down daily thoughts. I used to do this a lot in my younger years and I'm happy to get back to it.

      Delete
  12. I eat hot rolled oats all winter. It's simple to cook in a microwave. good stuff and like you say there are many variations you can try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oatmeal is one of my favourite breakfasts. I typically cook steel cut oats on the stovetop, which I love, and this will be another alternative method. Very tasty and very filling.

      Delete
  13. We have porridge every morning. I will give this overnight oats a shot! Sounds tasty.

    isn't it a bummer when we realize that we aren't as young and strong as we used to be?! Obviously all that srubbing and cleaning took it's toll on you, Martha. Smart to pull back even if you didn't have a choice on the matter. Hey...the basement will get done in time. Enjoy the sunshine and your new city.
    Happy yo hear your hospital experience was a good one. We are very fortunate here in Canada.
    Have a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....all that scrubbing....

      Delete
    2. It did take a toll on me, Jim. My fault, really, because I overdid it at times. I forget that I'm not 25 anymore! LOL Let's hope I learned my lesson and slow down a bit!

      And yes, we are indeed very fortunate with our healthcare!

      Delete
  14. Ohmygosh, Martha, I'm just nodding my head as I read your words. I just hurt myself, too, and feel ridiculously old and now unable to do things because of it! I have kept a journal for many, many years and often use it to quiet my head. Overnight oats are good. I've tried one "recipe" and want to try others. Have a great weekend, and take it easy!! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it frustrating when you hurt yourself and it disrupts your ability to do things? UGH... Not fun at all. I'll have to be much more careful from now on.

      I have been checking out those overnight oats recipes for a very long time and decided to finally give it a go. Now I know what all the fuss is about. So many tasty combinations!

      Delete
  15. I'm sorry to hear of your pain...terrible to overdue...Love your overnight oats idea, will try it because it sounds delicious. Try to relax a bit and enjoy the sunshine. Rainy and overcast here, hoping for sun later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did overdue it. I've really slowed down to allow for some healing. From now on I'll be much more careful!

      Delete
  16. I must find out more about overnight oats. Hope you are healing from your pain, probably caused from the move and everything you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely caused by all those things! I'll have to be more careful. Those overnight oats are worth a try. There are so many tasty combinations. And they are very easy to make!

      Delete
  17. Wow what a lot of information!! I'll need try some of these things, Martha! (Websites and oats)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the website recommendations and the overnight oats recipe also. Hope your sore muscles heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Martha! I'm sorry to hear that you injured yourself overdoing it! I'm glad that nothing serious came back in all those tests ~ just the news that you have to take it easier when you tackle big projects ~ + the pesky process of healing! I hope you are doing what the doctor ordered, because you don't need a relapse. I'm grateful to be living at this point in my life, even when I realize I'm going downhill, not up! LOL

    My brain is like yours! I sometimes think of it as a squashball court with two players slamming balls all over the place. I've journaled off and on for much of my life. It can be restorative. Ironically, I don't do it much anymore ~ too busy!!!

    I haven't done overnight oatmeal, but I make my own dry muesli. I mix old-fashioned rolled oats with other grains, 3 kinds of nuts, and 3 kinds of fruit (I vary these components with every batch). I eat it with some milk. It's delicious and fills me up. I buy oats in 10 pound (4.53 kilograms) boxes from Sam's Club. I feel like a horse sometimes!

    Wishing you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! I had a good laugh with the oats comment, Louise! But they are good. I love oatmeal; the taste and how filling it up. And how many different combinations you can make with it. Good stuff.

      I've been taking it easy for quite some time now but I know it will take a while to fully heal, if ever. But I will be more careful from now on!

      Delete
  20. I have a very active brain, but unlike you I don't put that to good use I just run around like a headless chicken from thing to thing. I need a journal too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! This was funny to read. Thanks for the smile :)

      Delete
  21. So sorry to hear you've injured yourself, I can remember you mentioned it in one of your posts a while back. At least you have had lots of tests, which are all clear ... and now just have to take things quietly and let that chest heal.

    Sending my good wishes ...

    All the best Jan

    P.S. I did like your journal page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I just need to be more careful from now on. I forget sometimes that I'm not a young'un anymore!

      Delete
  22. Oh dear I felt your pain in my chest though I already have bit mine left too.Thank God you went to the doctor and sort out the matter which was not much scarry.
    Hope you are feeling btter with prescriptions now.
    I am glad you found good websites from where you can get healthier food for thought and stomach.
    I used to write journal but since few years I am not feeling much writeotive (eagerly waiting for the day when i will be the same writer again) .
    I can see you got amazingly active brain and I believe that you will soon be Abel to write a book too.
    Please take complete rest and good care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! I have slowed down a bit to allow myself to heal. This will take a long time it seems and I'll have to be much more careful from now on! I hope you are feeling much, much better!

      Delete
  23. I had a diary for years through my kid/teen years and into my 20s, then I watched The Secret and realised how negative my thoughts were, so I started the whole positivity journal and did that for a few years but stopped when I didn't have anything to be positive for, so, haven't had one in a good decade or so.

    ReplyDelete