Wednesday, June 7, 2017

You Asked, I Answer (Go-To-Meals, Speeding Tickets, Favourite Toys and Posters On Bedroom Walls)

I know I’ve taken long to answer the questions my blogging pals asked quite some time ago. My motivation for blogging has really slowed down and it’s taken quite an effort to even keep posting. But here I am, finally, with another round of answers to your questions!

And away we go...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jenny asked:
What's your go-to meal to make when you are having company for supper? (any kind of company - grown children count!)

With so much experience in cooking and so many recipes made along the way, I don’t really have a favourite go-to-meal. The choice of meal depends on who is coming over for dinner. I often ask guests if they have any preferences, special diets or restrictions, but if I know the invitees very well, I just put something together that is a common favourite, not too time consuming and not overly spicy. When the weather is nice, a BBQ is the number one go-to-meal, along with a salad and some veggies.


Having said that, if it’s people I’ve never had over for dinner, one of the things I try to make sure of is that the food I serve is not messy or difficult to eat gracefully. Like spaghetti with sauce. Or corn on the cob. Or sticky ribs. Especially where new boyfriends are concerned. I’ve learned this the hard way. My younger daughter brought a boy over for dinner a few years back and, much to his dismay and mine, I served spaghetti. It’s hard to keep a straight face with a pimply-faced teenager who has noodles hanging down his mouth. Poor kid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Birdie asked two questions:

1) Have you ever had a speeding ticket? If so, how many?

I have only had one speeding ticket in all my driving years. That was over 20 years ago. My older daughter, who was about 4 at the time, was pulling a fit in the back seat and as I went over and down a hill, distracted and slightly frustrated, I didn’t pay as close attention to the signs as I should have and ended up entering a school zone at 50 kilometres an hour instead of the requisite 30. It took me only seconds to realize my blunder and I immediately started to slow down, but it was too late. There was an officer stationed on that road that afternoon whose job was handing out tickets to anyone going over the speed limit and reminding them to slow down. I was one of them. Totally embarrassed and apologetic, hoping beyond hope that he didn’t think I was this type of driver on a regular basis. That was my first and last speeding ticket, as well as the only time I’ve ever been pulled over.


2) What was your favourite childhood toy?

I grew up in a poor, working class family, so there weren’t that many toys. Also, we didn’t care all that much for them because we preferred to spend our time outdoors. Rain or shine, winter or summer, all the kids played outside. However, there is one toy that I absolutely adored. This one:


My parents surprised me with this doll named Dawn on Christmas morning when I was about five or six years old. I shrieked with delight when I ripped open the wrapping paper and saw her beautiful face (a little heavy on the mascara) and silky hair. She was a favourite toy as a child and became a favourite memory as I got older. Because in order to purchase this toy, which was a luxury, my parents had to scrimp and save over a long period of time. That makes this extra special.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Debra asked:
When you were a teenager, what posters did you have on your bedroom wall?

When I was a preteen (or tween) I, along with most of my friends, started reading Tiger Beat magazine (I wrote about it here) and I plastered my walls with eye candy that I found on those pages. Some of my favourites included Shaun Cassidy, John Travolta, (OHMYFLIPPINGGOODNESS) Andy Gibb, Leif Garrett, Robby Benson, Rex Smith and (IWASABSOLUTELYNUTSABOUTTHISONE) Matt Dillon, amongst others. And even though some of these crushes carried well into my teen years, by the time I was 14, I stopped putting up these types of posters on the walls in my room.

By then I was a full fledged philosophizing, hippie-loving, liberal-minded, rebellious and angst-filled adolescent struggling to rise above the extremely conservative community I was immersed in and rebelling against it with every ounce of my being at a level of fervor that only a teen can emanate. Therefore, instead of putting up posters of (OHMYFLIPPINGGOODNESS) Andy Gibb or (IWASABSOLUTELYNUTSABOUTTHISONE) Matt Dillon, I began hanging philosophical sayings, some of them serious, some of them humorous, like this one:


I was also an avid reader, poetry writer and journal keeper. All this to say that there were no heartthrobs on this girl’s walls at that time. I was too busy trying to find myself, too busy trying to stay afloat in a suffocating social environment, too busy fighting oppression and too busy thinking of ways to save the world. And myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you enjoy my answers? I sure hope you did. I'll be back again soon to answer more. Have a good one!

40 comments:

  1. The more I read, the more I like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Toni! Also really appreciate your idea regarding messy foods and guests... sort of the opposite with my family. All about those ribs and overflowing hot dogs and sauce on everything. Haha-bonding through stains. A metaphor in my family for many reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! I had a good laugh with your comment, Hannah. You do have a great sense of humour :)

      Delete
  3. Spaghetti is my go to meal when I have guests in the winter. I never thought about the mess! 😂

    I am glad that you had your beautiful doll. And only one speeding ticket is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one speeding ticket. I'm pretty damn proud of that :)

      Delete
  4. Dawn reminds me of Barbie. Was she related to Barbie? Barbie used to have lots of friends and relatives, in addition to her boyfriend Ken.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn had nothing to do with the Barbie series and she gave Barbie some fierce competition for a short while. But alas, the company that introduced her to the world went out of business and Dawn disappeared from stores.

      Delete
  5. (1) You're right, there is NO worse date meal than spaghetti. (2) I'm surprised a hardened traffic criminal such as yourself is still allowed on the streets. (3) My first "teen doll" was a Barbie knock-off too, called Judy. She had flat feet and did not sit like a lady with her knees together. See? Knock-off. (4) Because I'm older than you, the Tiger Beat heart throbs when I was a girl were David Cassidy, Davey Jones and some other singer whose name escapes me now. I put none of their pictures on my walls, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see, I'm a total menace on the road :)
      Who doesn't like a doll that doesn't sit like a lady? HAHAHA
      David Cassidy was so popular that it was mind boggling! But...he was just a little too old for me :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your interesting answers Martha! I thought Dawn was a Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looked the same way but she wasn't part of the Barbie crowd.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the thoughtful answer to my question, Martha. I am not a confident cook because I haven't hosted anyone but family, ever. I think I found what I was looking for in your answer - you practice a lot!! Funny cartoon about spaghetti :) So true, and for so many foods.

    I had two fashion dolls when I was growing up and neither one was Barbie but I loved those dolls to pieces. In one case, literally - pieces. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the receiving end of messy foods and it's not fun! When I'm with family members (very close ones) I don't mind. But with people I don't know very well, it can be quite uncomfortable. I try to keep this in mind when I'm on the serving end.

      Delete
  8. Great insight indeed and thanks for sharing it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, sister, separated at birth... I had a Dawn doll! I used to put up the centre posters of Tiger Beat and Teen Beat magazines around the perimeter of my walls. Boy I love reading these posts! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! This was funny. We have a lot of similarities in our childhood!

      And Teen Beat! Yes, I read that, too. Both of these magazines were favourites for quite some time.

      Delete
  10. i enjoyed reading this a lot! thanks for sharing some glimpses of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember my mother saying how much money she saved when a bulk of my christmas gifts one year were a dollar a piece. I preferred the lie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that way you very clearly give your answers. It's fun reading your answers as there's much to be learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! I appreciate it. It's fun putting these answers together.

      Delete
  13. Too cute with your choice of spaghetti with a teenage boy and perhaps why it was not the best choice :) Makes me remember a story about one of my cousins. She was over at a then boyfriend's house (years ago). Absolutely hated what the mom served but when the mom asked if she liked it, she lied and said it was very tasty. You know the rest of that story. Whenever she went there for dinner, the mom served that meal :)

    I always enjoy reading your answers. Always fun to read more about you to get to know you better!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! That is funny, Betty! And kind of sad. What a pickle your cousin got herself into with that meal. But then, what can you say when asked if you enjoyed a meal you were served at someone's home? That's a difficult place to be!

      Delete
  14. These were fun, Martha. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great answers. I thought you would get out of the ticket though because you are pretty-darn cop. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Thanks for that :) But I deserved that ticket. It was a school zone, after all :)

      Delete
  16. I never saw the point of dolls. I had two older brothers so Lego was popular in our house, I can't remember if I played with it much. Actually I guess one of my favourite toys might count as a doll, I had a little plastic tree house and a tiny family (about Lego man size) who lived in it - I played with them a lot. It had a tiny swing that the dog could sit in and a car for them to all go on travels around the lounge room.

    And posters - I never had them except for a small magazine cut-out of David Bowie as the goblin king in Labyrinth, but now I have a big poster of Legolas (Orlando Bloom) aiming an arrow at me right next to the TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I grew up with two older brothes. I was a tomboy and this may have been one of the few dolls I ever had. But she certainly was a favourite.

      Delete
  17. Thanks again for taking time to share more here Martha.

    I hope you are continuing to heal well - enjoy the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I am being careful and hoping for the best.

      Delete
  18. Enjoyed reading your answers, Martha!
    I was covering a concert yesterday, and one of the songs was "I will Survive." It reminded me of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! That is funny, Bethany! And I'm flattered that you'd think of me :) I hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  19. As always, I enjoy reading your answers to readers questions, Martha. during the brief period when I had posters hung on the wall, it was all the Beatles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like putting these together. It's a lot of fun. Although I've had more trouble keeping up with this blog this year. Too much too do around the house.

      Delete
  20. brilliant answers dear Martha!

    playing out in childhood was blessing then and i still feel the joy of those days .
    lovely doll and how sweet that you kept it with such love and care for all those years ,you were blessed with loving parents .

    wishing you speedy healing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the best parents! My father died ten years ago but at least I still have my mom who is doing very well.

      Delete