Saturday, August 12, 2017

This Week

On Monday I drove to Montreal early in the morning to accompany my mom to the hospital for her blood test. She takes an anticoagulant (blood thinning) medication for her arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat) and has to have her blood tested regularly to make sure the right amount of medication is in her blood stream. This will reduce her risk of having a heart attack or stroke, and also reduce her risk of bruising or bleeding. My mother has been doing this for decades and the regular monitoring has kept her healthy.

There were a lot of people at the hospital but the employees were so organized and efficient that we were out of there in no time. Her results were good and she won’t have to go back until October. We returned to her place around 9 AM and had some coffee. About an hour later, I headed out to run some errands for her, including some banking and groceries, and when I got back around noon, I discovered that she had ordered a pizza (best food ever!) during my absence, so we had lunch. We had a lovely time together and it was a really good day for her; one of the best she’s had since she fell and hit her head in June, which landed her a mild concussion and a long list of problems. She is by no means fully recovered but Monday was a hopeful sign that things will indeed get better. All she really needs - and wants - at this time is patience and kindness.


I headed out around one but instead of hitting the highway, I decided to treat myself to a quick visit to IKEA. It seems that everyone else had the same idea because the place was packed! I had forgotten that it was a civic holiday and many people were off from work. You’d think they’d be outdoors enjoying the day, which was a really nice one, but nope, they were all at IKEA. I took a leisurely stroll through the store, bought nothing (borders on a miracle!) and got on the highway around 2:30. The drive started off amazingly well and I was excited that I’d be back home in record time. Not so fast! Halfway in, it all went to hell. And what should have been a 50 minute drive turned into 2 hours. Three construction zones and one minor accident made sure of that. By the time I got home, I felt like I was going to lose my mind. Well, at least I arrived safe and sound.


Earlier this week I made the most delicious frittata in the history of delicious frittatas that the most amazing man in the world and I devoured! All thanks to Rain who shared the recipe for it. Have you met her yet? Go over here and visit her wonderful blog. And here to her other blog where she shares her cheese making adventures. She is such a lovely person and I’m happy she’s part of my blogging circle. Thanks, Rain!

This week I also discovered that one grocery store and a couple of pharmacies offer almost all of my favourite natural, cruelty-free and healthy products in every category (food, cleaning supplies, bath and body). This is what happens when you thoroughly go through a store instead of rushing through it. You’d think I would have done this by now instead of waiting until we’ve been here for almost six months. Better late than never. Now I can shop locally when sales are on in addition to online shopping.

Yesterday I spent the day cleaning. Our place never gets really dirty because there’s only the two of us now, but it does accumulate a lot of dust bunnies, most of them clumps of cat hair. One of our fur babies sheds so much (the one on the right in the image below) that I wonder how she hasn’t gone bald by now. Her abundant fur is soft and beautiful and all over the house. I always know it’s time to run the vacuum when tumbleweeds scatter across the floor as I walk. But you know what? I wouldn’t have it any other way. These furry girls bring so much joy in our home.

How can you not love these two furry faces?

I think it’s time to wrap this up because I’ve talked your ear off! Have a terrific weekend, everyone. Relax, have fun, be happy.

36 comments:

  1. Your kitties are beautiful. I'm glad your mom is doing well. My city is all about road work. They finish one section of the interstate (after a few years) and move on to another one. One time I went to my doctor's office and it took me two hours to get home. I wonder how much of my life I've spent waiting on the interstate.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I got sick of all those years living in the big city. All the construction! Now I actually enjoy driving. Except right now on this highway where all the construction is happening. Hopefully they finish soon because it's otherwise an amazing drive to and fro all the other cities I enjoy visiting!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your week and your cute and happy furry friends! It's great you can see your mom more now and help out, it reminds me of my time with my mom before she passed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy we made this decision to move closer to everyone we love most. It's wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Had to laugh at the Road Work sign. There are a number of places it could be put around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can all relate to it no matter where we live!

      Delete
  4. Hi Martha :) I'm so glad you liked the frittatta! (I can never spell that the same way twice lol) It's especially yummy cold for breakfast the next day! And thanks for the links and your sweet words, gush. :)

    IKEA is ALWAYS packed...I actually worked in that area for 9 years, just a few streets away and one of my duties was to get lunch. I'd drive there daily, just across the highway to a little caterer...there was always a line-up to turn left to the IKEA lol...it's hard for me to go there and NOT buy something! Luckily it's a 2-hour drive away now!!

    I'm so glad you and your moms had a great time! Who can resist delivered pizza??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKEA is one of the few places that I'm willing to search for a parking spot. LOL Otherwise, off I go. I used to live in the St. Laurent area for a few years and would sometimes pop into IKEA to snoop around. I'd go at opening time and the store was super quiet. The only time it probably is!

      Pizza is something I love, so you can imagine how happy I was coming back to my mom's and finding one waiting for us to devour. She ordered from Miss Jean Talon. Have you ever heard of that small restaurant? It's been around forever and it makes the most amazing pizza.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I've been to Miss Jean Talon and have had their pizza! Coinkee-dinkee! :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, lucky you! You haven't truly had pizza until you've had that one. Unless it's at your place. Because it looks like there's some darn good eating going on over there :)

      Delete
  5. And yes, your cats are gorgeous...I am more of a dog person, but we have 3 very sneaky sweet cats too that melt my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that my kids are grown and moved away, you can just imagine how much baby talking and spoiling goes on around here with the cats. LOL I adore dogs but I just can't imagine right now committing to all the care they need. Maybe one day in the future. You just never know.

      Delete
  6. It's wonderful that your mother is doing so well, Martha! thanks for introducing me to Rain's blog. I bookmarked that frittata recipe which looked delicious. Loved your description of dust bunnies as tumbleweeds! I hope that you are enjoying a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to prepare and very delicious. I like recipes that don't have too many ingredients, especially complicated ingredients. Hope you had a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you and your mom had such a good day. I hope she's feeling more like herself very soon.

    Your cats are beautiful! That doesn't stop them from being fur-tumbleweed-making machines, though, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that doesn't stop them at all. But they tumbleweeds are cute and fluffy :)

      Delete
  8. I'm glad your mom is doing better. And yes, those are two loveable furry faces!

    What products do you use? I am down to using a hand/body soap made locally. I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar for my hair. When I remember I use moisturizer that is all natural. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are making great choices, Birdie! When we're done with all the house stuff, I'm going to attempt to make a lot of homemade products. In the meantime, I research and buy the best possible ones I can find. Some favourites include the obvious like Live Clean and LUSH. But I also like Seventh Generation, Attitude, Green Beaver, Kiss My Face and Method, just to mention a few. There are a lot of better-for-you-and-the-planet products available out there if we take the time to look around. I want healthier ingredients for us, cruelty-free for the animals and non-toxic for out planet. I don't think it's too much to ask for.

      Delete
  9. That's good to hear your mom had a better day when you were with her, and thank goodness her levels were fine. I visit Rain's blog as well! Your fur making machine looks a lot like our Samson. (Don't all tabbies look the same?) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitties are both beautiful. I am glad your Mom is improving. How sweet of her to order pizza. I will check out that blog, I have always wanted to make my own cheese. I tried once with ricotta, but didn't get a whole lot out of a gallon of milk so I think I did something wrong. I love the construction sign, so true :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese making takes to much patience and hard work. I'm not sure I could do it. But Rain seems to be loving it and I'm enjoying following her adventures!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like the return home trip from hell with all your delays on Monday! Such cute cats! Was just thinking the other day when I was vacuuming how I used to have to vacuum 3 times a week when we had our corgi because of his shedding hair. I'd go back to it in a heartbeat if he was still with us. The things we do for those furry pets!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Betty! I don't mind all the fur they shed. I love having them both here!

      Delete
  12. It's a good blogpost. I went to IKEA (in Canada)really early this morning. A taxi took me to the airport. By the time I got through customs it was getting late though. I didn't realise they do an IKEA in England! Silly me. I like Rain's blog too. All the prices are in dollars and I haven't got a clue how much they are. English money is so much better, don't you agree? I love the pizza. Will have to book another flight over to get some. They sell pizzas in England, do they? Well, how was I to know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! This made me smile :) I hope you had a nice weekend.

      Delete
  13. That reminds me, we will be sorta near an IKEA next week. I'll have to remember that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of these stores can get really busy depending on the time of day or if some holiday or promotion is going on!

      Delete
  14. I would like more non-toxic, natural products, too. I cannot wait for this renovation to be done, still have to have appliances, floors, painting, front door fix...Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine how thrilled you'll be when all this is over!

      Delete
  15. you mother is wise lady Martha! so was mine she after the age of 37 (i remember this through her hospital cards) used ti visit hospital for checkup regularly of everything she used medicines and drops for her eyes for years and it kept her healthy .
    i am glad you spent quality time with your mom had coffee and piza with her and did her due little jobs!

    you are incrediblly good daughter.

    what the heck !
    your treat of trip turn into a headache tow hours are quite long for driving alone but it is nice that you reached back safely and happily dear.

    Rain is wonderful chief as she makes amazing recipes .
    glad you tried this one and enjoyed.
    just like your furry friend i am also loosing my hair after my parents swiftly and they are everywhere in house .
    lets see who be balled first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect to take so long to get home that day! But until they finish the construction in certain areas on that highway, you just don't know what will happen on that highway. It can be frustrating because when the roads are clear, the drive is fast and quite enjoyable!

      I'd like to visit my mom a little more often now that we've moved closer. I used to be too far and it was hard being away from everyone.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing all your news, it was lovely to read that your mom is doing well. You had such a good and special time with her.

    Our roads are awful too and getting worse - more congested and they don't seem to repair them as often as they used to either!

    Your cats are beautiful, wonderful photo's.

    Take Care, my good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Construction can be so tiresome. But I guess when repairs need to get done, that's what happens. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. I went to IKEA (in Canada)really early this morning. A taxi took me to the airport. By the time I got through customs it was getting late though. I didn't realise they do an IKEA in England! Silly me. I like Rain's blog too. All the prices are in dollars and I haven't got a clue how much they are.

    หนังไทย

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain is very sweet! I'm so glad she left a comment on one of my posts or else I wouldn't have discovered her and her blog. I hope you didn't have trouble at customs trying to get to our IKEA LOL :)

      Delete